‘Tis the Season to… Innovate!
This year we have seen some incredible innovations – everything from COVID-19 vaccines being developed, to small businesses adapting their services to our own NHS Volunteer initiative!
We wondered what sort of innovations led to the kind of 21st century Christmas traditions we all know and love. So, we pulled together a list of tech and innovation inspired Christmas facts for you to enjoy!
- Whilst we can thanks Thomas Edison and Edward H. Johnson for creating the first strands of electric lights in the 1880’s, it was 15 year old Albert Sadacca that pushed his family to start selling pre-strung multicoloured electric lights after a terrible local fire caused by candles in 1917. Sadacca’s family business, the OMA Electric Company, went on to become the world’s largest Christmas lighting company!
- Tinsel was initially made of lead until the US government convinced manufacturers to change it to plastic.
- The classic Christmas window display originated in New York! Due to the widespread availability of plate glass in the 1800s, shop owners were able to build large windows to display their merchandise. Macy’s New York store’s first window display featured a collection of porcelain dolls.
- Due to a wildly successful marketing campaign, Japanese people traditionally eat KFC for their Christmas dinner. In fact, it’s so popular that you have to order your Christmas dinner 2 months in advance!
- In the 1800s, Germany were conscious of the amount of Christmas trees going to waste after the holiday period. They began developing artificial Christmas trees using dyed green goose feathers!
- A tiny amount of gunpowder in a cardboard tube is responsible for the classic pop sound from Christmas crackers.
- In Columbia in 2010, the government launched Operation Christmas, a campaign to encourage FARC guerrillas to demobilize. Jungle trees were covered in lights and decorations, so when guerrillas got near, the lights would illuminate and banners would appear encouraging them to drop their weapons and come home. The campaign was deemed a success – whilst it was active, 331 guerrillas demobilised.
- Medical researchers in the US and the Netherlands wanted to understand why reindeer’s get red noses. They investigated how blood circulates in a reindeer’s nasal passage using video-imaging technology. They discovered that a reindeer’s blood vessels and circulatory system are 25% more packed in compared to a human nose – this causes the famous red glow!
Humans are incredible, whether that’s innovating to improve Christmas lights or to save the environment!
If your business is looking to innovate in 2021, an IT hiring strategy will be key to your success. Please get in touch with us to understand how we work and the value we can bring.
Similar articles you might like...
VIQU Named ‘Best Recruitment Team of the Year’
I am delighted to announce VIQU's win at the Recruiter Investing in Talent Awards 2020. Being named 'Best Recruitment Team of the Year' is a fantastic acknowledgement of the hard work our team displayed throughout 2020.
Is Christmas the Perfect Time for IT Job Hunters?
From my 10+ years in IT recruitment, I can safely say that the myth around recruitment in December is far from the truth, and I hope this article sheds some light on the myth and why IT professionals should start their job search now!
IT Service Transition Specialist - 6m - Remote/SW
Salisbury, United Kingdom
£400 - 500 per day + Inside IR35
IT Service Transition Consultant/Specialist – 6 month – Remote/South West*This role falls inside of IR35 and so will require you to work through an approved Umbrella Company* VIQU are working on behalf of a customer that...
Automation Engineer - 6-9 month - Remote
Nottingham, United Kingdom
£400 - 500 per day
Automation Engineer – 9 month – Remote (London/East Midlands) I’m working with a customer that has an open requirement for an experience Automation Engineer to join them on an initial contract basis. The role will be...
Trainee IT Recruitment Consultant
West Midlands, United Kingdom
OTE £50k year one
VIQU IT Recruitment has been awarded “Best Recruitment Team of the Year”, and we’re hiring! If you want the best start in your recruitment career, then read on…We are a fun, driven and highly ambitious...
Power BI Developer - NHS - £230 a day
Southampton, United Kingdom
£225 - 240 per day
EPMA Power BI Developer - NHS - £200-£220 a dayTHE NHS NEEDS YOULong Term Contract (12Months)This role is INSIDE IR35 and FULLY REMOTEVIQU are working with an NHS trusts by supporting them with outstanding IT...
Security Consultant - Remote Working
London, United Kingdom
£500 - 600 per day + Inside IR35
Security Architect – Remote Working – 6 months (Inside IR35)An experienced hands-on Security Architect is required to work for a global manufacturing organisation. Working within a highly experienced team, you will look to design and...